Pages

Tuesday, April 12, 2011

{Recipes) - Breakfast

Hello Friends! I am going to apologize in advance for the random post and the poor quality picture taken with my phone, but I wanted to share with all of you what I have been loving for breakfast recently! I absolutely love Chobani yogurt. I have seriously been eating one for breakfast every morning for the past couple of weeks. It has 14 grams of protein and is all natural! I am not a huge fan of the plain flavor, but the ones that have fruit on the bottom are so good! 

In addition to the yogurt, I typically have a granola bar or cereal. Well, I was watching Barefoot Contessa yesterday and she made Homemade Granola Bars. I have always been intimidated about making my own granola, because it normally turns out weird or doesn't taste very good, but let me tell you, these turned out really good! The recipe is listed below:


Homemade Granola Bars

2 cups old-fashioned oatmeal
1 cup sliced almonds
1 cup shredded coconut, loosely packed
1/2 cup flax seed (the original recipe called for wheat germ, but I didn't have that on hand)
3 tablespoons unsalted butter
2/3 cup honey
1/4 cup light brown sugar, lightly packed
1 1/2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
1/2 cup raisins
1/2 cup dried apricots
1/2 cup dried cranberries

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Butter an 8 x 12-inch baking dish and line it with parchment paper. Spray with parchment paper with cooking spray once lined in the pan.

On a separate sheet pan, toss the oatmeal, almonds, and coconut together and bake for 10 to 12 minutes, stirring occasionally, until lightly browned. Transfer the mixture to a large mixing bowl and stir in the flax seed.

Reduce the oven temperature to 300 degrees.

Place the butter, honey, brown sugar, vanilla, and salt in a small saucepan and bring to a boil over medium heat. Cook and stir for a minute, then pour over the toasted oatmeal mixture. Add the raisins, apricots, and cranberries and stir well.

Pour the mixture into the prepared pan. Wet your fingers and lightly press the mixture evenly into the pan. Bake for 25 to 30 minutes, until light golden brown. Cool for at least 2 to 3 hours before cutting into squares. Serve at room temperature.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...